O Danny Blog Entries  

UX Week 2006: Creative Production Notes

Chris Conley, Gravity Tank, IIT Professor

We've lost the art of how to work together. We've lost this in a profound sense, especially to organizations. We need a new way of working: creative production.

Peter Drucker: "Profit is only a measure of marketing and innovation." Marketing is about identifying opportunity. Innovation is designing and launching it. The best products such as the iPod are a combination of both. It recognized a market opportunity and designs it well.

Our organizations are made up of amazing talent. One of the main problems is how we organize that talent. To maintain what exists is fine (80%). For the other 20%, siloed organizations work horribly.

How do we really work today? EEEMP: Email, Email, Email, Meetings, and Presentations

Story is central. What things are about resonate with people. Story is a device to move people. All products should have stories. Not a narrative that people watch, but interfaces that people interact with.

There should be a Producer and a Creative Director on all teams. Classic opposite sides of the spectrum. Idea of an ensemble--experts coming together creates something amazing. Working on all aspects at once, within and without of the product. Never sure where you are going to innovate.

Work low-fidelity to high-fidelity.

Don't give a powerpoint--give a pitch. Bring emotion into it.

Use dailies. Review work and critique it every day. Create an environment that allows critique. Make meetings into activities. Open up meetings. Don't worry about the meeting going "in the wrong direction." The talent in the room will affect the outcome!

Is the thing that is embodied close to what you want it to be? Critiques need to come from a base of respect.

Push beyond "the edge" (what people are comfortable with) to make the team better.

Originally posted at Monday, August 14, 2006 | Comments (0)

Previous Entry
UX Week 2006: Interface Culture 10 Years Later Notes
What Steven got right Metafilters: bloggers. New form of filter that allows for different sensibilities, critical views, editorial views. "Meta-journalism" What Steven missed Interface ecosystems. It's now easy to think of the world in terms as modules. Don't have... ...

Recent Entries
New Book: Designing Gestural Interfaces

An Interaction Designer's Thanksgiving

Missing Britpop

Presentation: Gaming the Web: Using the Structure of Games to Design Better Web Apps

Connecting07: Rethinking Product Design: Why We Can't Wait

Connecting07: Medical Device Design: 10 Things You Need to Know

Connecting07: Brand, Design, and the Brain

An Open Letter to the Producers of the new Bionic Woman

Review: The Reflective Practitioner (Part IV)

Presentations on Slideshare

November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
December 2006
November 2006
October 2006
September 2006
August 2006
July 2006
June 2006
May 2006
April 2006
March 2006
February 2006
January 2006
December 2005
November 2005
October 2005
September 2005
August 2005
July 2005
June 2005
May 2005
April 2005
March 2005
February 2005
January 2005
December 2004
November 2004
October 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
June 2004
May 2004
April 2004
March 2004
February 2004
January 2004
December 2003
November 2003
October 2003
September 2003
August 2003
July 2003
June 2003
May 2003
April 2003
March 2003
February 2003
January 2003
December 2002
November 2002
October 2002
September 2002
August 2002
  O Danny Boy is About Me, Dan Saffer, and has my Portfolio, Resumé, Blog, and some Extras. It also has the blog I kept of my graduate studies and ways to Contact Me.  
  Blog RSS Feeds
Blog Excerpts
Full Entries
Design Entries Only
Atom Feed